Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Random Profile: Janice Suchyta, Richmond

Originally published by Joanna Herzik.

For Random Profiles, we randomly pick one of our 98,000-plus attorneys and do a Q&A. We’ve found that every Texas lawyer has an interesting story. Will yours be next?

JaniceSuchytaBorn: I was born in Coldwater, Michigan on January 6, 1963.

Family: My husband, Tom, and I have two daughters: Haley, who is 14, and Miranda, who is 12. We also have two dogs: Austin, our 90-pound golden retriever and Henry, a seven-month-old border collie mix.

Areas of practice: I’m general counsel for a community health center so my days revolve around contracts, health law, and employee law issues.

Education: I graduated from the University of Michigan (GO BLUE!) with a B.A. in Art History and English Literature. I went to law school at the University of Detroit/Mercy Law School.

Bet you didn’t know: I lived in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and survived winters with 300 inches of snow.

Another little known fact: I can drive a car with a manual transmission.

Likes/Dislikes: I like my dogs, but I dislike picking up after them for poop patrol!

Bad habit: I bite my nails.

Doesn’t: like long work commutes in Houston traffic.

Is not good at: keeping my car washed on a regular basis.

Culinary talent: none! My husband is the cook in the family.

What kind of car do you drive? Ford Explorer so we have room for all the dogs and kids.

Community Involvement: Golden Beginnings Golden Retriever Rescue.

Mentors/heroes: My dad who always worked more than one job to provide for his family. My husband for his courage and strength in coping with his cancer diagnosis.

Most important career lesson: Never take work issues personally. As a new lawyer, my best friend was the assistant prosecuting attorney, and I was the local public defender. We fought in court, but never outside of the office.

Latest pursuit: Beginning to run again, so I’m training for a 5k race later this year.

Current Project: Planning for our family vacation to Disney World in May.

Favorite quote: “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis

Pet peeve: Bad drivers

When they do the film about you, what actress should portray you? Allison Janney

Secret for staying young: keeping up with my kids

Favorite plays: “Our Town,” by Thornton Wilder

Favorite TV program: “Downton Abbey” and both seasons of “Fargo”

Favorite artist: Manet and Mondrian

Favorite composers: Mozart; Wagner

Favorite album: Beatles, “White Album”

Favorite musicians: Frank Sinatra; Pitbull; Carole King

Favorite place to find albums: Apple or Amazon music. We only stream now.

Favorite movie: “The Sound of Music” because it’s the first movie I remember seeing as a kid.

The last movie I saw was: Just watched “The Martian” with Matt Damon. It needed aliens.

Favorite magazine: I don’t read magazines anymore.

Favorite sport: Running and volleyball.

Favorite food: Any kind of French cooking and eggs/bacon.

Favorite restaurant: the neighborhood sushi place down the street from us.

Where to be found on a Saturday night: Usually at home watching a movie with the family.

Talents (besides law): I’m really good at planning a vacation.

Hobbies: Reading; scrap booking

Collects: Dog fur in my house from the golden retriever!

Current reading material: I’ve started reading novels by Dean Koontz. He loves golden retrievers too.

Memorable vacation: All the times we went to Disney World. Yes, we are Disney nerds.

My favorite weekend retreats are: In my backyard with the pool, the fire pit, and a cocktail.

If I had more time, I would: Travel more and volunteer more.

Best thing about being a lawyer: Solving a problem.

Biggest misconception about me: That I’m tough.

What most people don’t know about me: I don’t like meeting new people.

The part of my job I do best is: Keeping projects organized.

The best piece of advice ever given to you and by whom: “Don’t take your job too seriously.” – my dad

If you could be anyone else for a day, who would it be? My dogs. They have a great life.

What do you think is the biggest challenge facing attorneys today? Lack of professional courtesy.

Who is your favorite on-screen or literary attorney, and why? Jimmy Stewart in “Anatomy of a Murder.” I practiced law in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where the movie takes place.

If you weren’t an attorney, what profession do you think you would be in? English literature professor.

What’s the turning point that made you decide to become an attorney? I hated my first job after graduating college.

When you are not practicing law, what do you like to do? Spend time with my family.

Who are the people you admire most, and why? My family. They keep me going every day.

What has changed the most technologically or practice wise since you have been licensed? Online filing and Internet research. I miss doing research in a big library.

How do you think the practice will change in the next 15 years? Less lawyers and large firms.

Any words of wisdom or advice for the new president of the State Bar of Texas? Good luck.

 

Janice is General Counsel and Compliance Officer at Access Health in Richmond.

You can also view Janice’s TexasBar.com profile.


Opinions and statements expressed in these profiles are those of their subjects – not the State Bar of Texas.

Curated by Texas Bar Today. Follow us on Twitter @texasbartoday.



from Texas Bar Today http://ift.tt/1JY8ulv
via Abogado Aly Website

No comments:

Post a Comment