Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Say What?! – Don’t Tell Anyone About This

Originally published by .


From Steven C. Copenhaver of Austin (Davis v. Davis), this deposition excerpt from a probate case “in which my client, a private charitable organization, was alleging that a sizeable sum of money was supposed to be bequeathed” to it “instead of another organization with a similar name.” Steve was deposing a friend of the deceased (the witness was represented by David F. Beale of Houston).


Q. Have you had an opportunity to talk with your attorney concerning what a deposition is?


A. Yes sir, he told me what a deposition was.


Q. I’m sure your attorney has instructed you to answer the question I ask.


A. Yes, sir. Did he tell you I’m incompetent?


Q. No he didn’t tell me that.


A. Well, I am.


Q. What makes you say that?


A. The doctor says that. I don’t get my money. My wife gets the money. She’s my guardian.


Q. Have you understood every thing you and I have talked about up to this point in time?


A. You told me your name, but I forgot it.


Q. Have you understood everything I’ve said so far?

A. You ain’t talked much.


Q. Do you remember having a conversation with me?


A. This is the first time I’ve met you, right here.


Q. I mean over the phone.


A. I talked to somebody on the phone. I don’t know who it was because I couldn’t see through the phone.

Q. Good point. Do you remember hanging up on the telephone conversation?


A. Yes sir. Some guy called, and I didn’t, you know, want to talk to him so I hung up.


Q. Do you know why you hung up?

A. We finished our conversation.


Curated by Texas Bar Today. Follow us on Twitter @texasbartoday.






from Texas Bar Today http://saywhat.texasbar.com/2014/10/november-1990-dont-tell-anyone-about.html

via Abogado Aly Website

No comments:

Post a Comment