Monday, November 24, 2014

March 1993 – From The Trials of Pro Se

Originally published by .


From Richard A. Tindall of Houston, this contribution – “both an excerpt from a deposition and the ensuing trial” – from a divorce case in which Richard represented the wife. The husband, who is the witness in this Q & A, was appearing pro se.


Q. How much education do you have?


A. About three semesters at Lon Morris Junior College.


Q. Do you remember giving your deposition in my office several weeks ago?


A. Yes I do, you threatened me that we might have to take it in front of the judge.


Q. Do you remember me asking you about your education at that time?


A. I think so.


Q. Do you remember your answer?


A. I’m not sure.


Q. Well, let’s take a look at it.


A. Okay.


Q. You stated you had a master’s degree in geophysics from The University of Texas, didn’t you?


A. Yes, sir.


Q. Mr. Chappell, when you gave that answer, were you mistaken or was it just a barefaced lie?


A. It was a barefaced lie.


Richard adds: Later in the trial, the pro se husband puts the teenage daughter on the stand and asked:


Q. Who do you think is the craziest, me or your mother?


A. (perceptively) I don’t think either one of you is crazier than the other one.


Curated by Texas Bar Today. Follow us on Twitter @texasbartoday.






from Texas Bar Today http://ift.tt/1v4mr6j

via Abogado Aly Website

No comments:

Post a Comment