Originally published by Cordell Parvin.
You’ve likely read that President Clinton has an amazing ability to make a person feel like he or she is the most important person in the room. He also has an amazing memory of names and faces.
Every quarter I met with her group in Omaha and we ate dinner together. Each time, Anne Marie asked her colleagues and me great questions that got the conversation going.
One time she asked:
What made you decide to become a lawyer?
Another time she asked:
What was your best trial experience? What was your worst trial experience?
She then listened as each of her colleagues (all men) answered.
Anne Marie has a gift and is able to engage people by asking questions. I wish I had her gift. Her interest and curiosity are just a part of who she is. I’m positive I would have developed more relationships with potential clients.
I always felt awkward at events, unless I had made a presentation. Because I never enjoyed networking, I decided several times in my career to simply practice. I read books and articles by networking experts and came up with some networking questions for events attended by business men and women. Here are my questions:
- How did you get started in_______?
- What made you decide to go into the ___business?
- What do you love/enjoy most about what you do?
- Tell me about your company.
- What separates your company from the competition?
- What changes are happening in your industry?
- How is the current economy impacting your business?
- Depending on the answer: Do you see things turning around for you?
- What do you see happening in your industry over the next few years?
- What are some of the projects you are currently working on?
- What ways does your company promote/market its products/services?
- Does your company use social media in its marketing efforts?
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
- Tell me about your family.
- What do your children enjoy doing?
- Where are you from originally?
- How long have you lived here?
- What do you enjoy the most about living in ___________?
- What can I do to help you? What can I do to help your business?
What questions would you add to this list?
If you are like me and need more help on networking, here are some books on my reading list:
The post Networking Novice? Try Some of These 19 Networking Questions appeared first on Cordell Parvin Blog.
from Texas Bar Today http://ift.tt/2vLD10P
via Abogado Aly Website