Thursday, March 31, 2016

Senior Lawyers: Some thoughts…

Originally published by Cordell Parvin.

It’s interesting, over the last few years I’ve thought more about my age.

When I was first trying to attract clients, the owners of the construction companies were a minimum of 10 years older than me and in some cases were my father’s age.

I never once thought about being too young to attract them as clients. Many were my friends and remain so today. I wrote about some of them a year ago: Client Development: Sometimes You Need a Little Luck.

When I was in my 50s and still practicing law, I never thought about being “older.” I was at the peak of my career.

Now, I get reminders of my age. Let me give you a small example. Last week, Nancy and I bought bicycles to ride on the great trails we have at Windsong Ranch. Nancy put a photo of her new bike on Facebook.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 8.42.19 AM

We’ve gone out riding with our third grade neighbor.

After a ride last week, our third grader’s mother told us her daughter was really impressed that Nancy and I kept up with her on our bikes. What she was really saying is: “Mom, they are really old. How can they keep up with  me?”

If I was still practicing law, some of my clients would be led by men or women younger than me. Many, if not all of the in-house lawyers would be younger than me.

Even though I never thought about age when I was a younger lawyer, I believe I would think about it now. How would I keep up with them?

If you are in that boat, I recommend you think about what the next generation values. Try to see the world from their perspective.

The post Senior Lawyers: Some thoughts… appeared first on Cordell Parvin Blog.

Curated by Texas Bar Today. Follow us on Twitter @texasbartoday.



from Texas Bar Today http://ift.tt/25zgOQ1
via Abogado Aly Website

No comments:

Post a Comment