Wednesday, November 18, 2020

What Your Experienced Lawyers Should Know about Blogging

Originally published by Cordell Parvin.

What do novels written, baseball games played and commercials produced 40-50 years ago, and more, have to do with what experienced lawyers should know about blogging? It turns out there is a lot senior lawyers can learn.

During the pandemic this year I am reading and listening to more novels than ever before. As an experiment I decided to download novels written by well know authors including John Updike, Robert Caro, John Steinbeck and others. Many of the books I read years ago and remembered enjoying them.

What have I discovered? It is difficult to read or listen to the end. They move too slowly for me know. There is too much description or back story.

When I grew up I played baseball through my sophomore year in college. I regularly watched the Cubs and White Sox on WGN in Chicago with Jack Brickhouse announcing. In 2020 I didn’t watch one game even a World Series game. Why? I get bored watching because it moves too slowly.

When I grew up TV commercials were 60 seconds, later 30 seconds and now most commercials are 15 seconds? Why? Because those who write and produces commercials know viewers will not sit through 60 seconds or even 30 seconds.

A few years ago I was asked by a national law firm to do programs in several of their offices  across the country on blogging for experienced lawyers. The firm asked me because I was an experienced lawyer myself, and they thought older lawyers might find me more credible. I sought to convince experienced lawyers that they are prime candidates to blog for client development.

When I presented my thoughts on blogging, I told them rule number 1 is they cannot bore their readers. I then explained how to avoid that problem:

  • You have to pick a topic your clients and potential clients care about
  • You have to write the blog post in a way they will want to read it. Don’t bury the lead. The headline and first sentence must capture the readers’ attention.
  • You should find every way possible to get what you have written in the hands of as many clients, potential clients and referral sources as will value having the materials. Do not “push” your blog to them. Instead, “pull” those interested to it.

Social media, among other things is a distribution tool that allows you to broaden who reads your materials by “pulling” them to it.

 

The post What Your Experienced Lawyers Should Know about Blogging appeared first on Cordell Parvin Blog.

Curated by Texas Bar Today. Follow us on Twitter @texasbartoday.



from Texas Bar Today https://ift.tt/2IOxDF4
via Abogado Aly Website

No comments:

Post a Comment