Tuesday, June 26, 2018

What Would Your Law Firm Be Like If You Gave Associates “Fed Ex” Days?

Originally published by Cordell Parvin.

I recently heard a discussion I would describe as “what some big law firms doing to be thought of as cool by young lawyers.”

I listened intently and learned that a high percentage of associates working in big law firms are seeking to leave their law firm and go in-house at a company.

I gathered that some of the big law firms are seeking to retain those lawyers. I heard that one firm allows young parents to bring their children to work. (I assumed but wasn’t sure that they weren’t supposed to bring their children every day).

I learned that several well-known firms are providing alcohol as a way of being thought of as a cool place to work. I’m not sure I understood, but apparently, some firms believe they can demand many hours of work from young lawyers if they make working at the firm more fun.

At my old firm, beer was brought in on Friday afternoons to what was called the attorneys’ lounge. Over 10 years I went once and drank one beer as I didn’t want to be pulled over or cause an accident while driving home on the North Dallas Tollway.

Ok, I confess. I am old fashioned. I was the guy who didn’t think our firm should go to everyday business casual. Keep in mind that when I went to law school, male students were required to wear coats and ties. Also, keep in mind that when our firm went to business casual, I didn’t own any clothing that would meet what I defined as business casual.

So, I could be old fashioned when I say I don’t believe providing alcohol in the office is a great way to attract and retain talented young lawyers. Is there another way?

If you haven’t read or heard about Daniel Pink’s book Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us, you likely have not heard of “Fed Ex” Days.

In the book, Pink talks about Atlassian, an Australian company that once a quarter allows their developers to work on anything they want, any way they want and with whomever they want. Atlassian calls them “Fed Ex” days because the developers have to deliver something overnight.

I urge you to read the book. If you want an introduction, read this CNN article Big bonuses don’t mean big results. You will see in the article that if you want to implement “Fed Ex” days in your office, there is only one rule: “The group must deliver something.”

How can you implement the program in your firm?

Give your associates the chance to do a project for a client or for an organization in your community. Let them select the project and who will be on their team. I believe your associates will come up with many creative ideas that will be a public relations coup for your firm, and just maybe your firm will be considered a cool place to work.

The post What Would Your Law Firm Be Like If You Gave Associates “Fed Ex” Days? appeared first on Cordell Parvin Blog.

Curated by Texas Bar Today. Follow us on Twitter @texasbartoday.



from Texas Bar Today https://ift.tt/2MZ0a8w
via Abogado Aly Website

No comments:

Post a Comment