Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Making Rain: Prepare Like the Beatles

Originally published by Cordell Parvin.

First, I’m back working. I started last week as a Senior Director at Lateral Link and discovered just how much I have to learn.

I am at the moment the least experienced legal recruiter in the firm, and yet in Spanish Soy el reclutador más viejo. (I am the oldest).

My new business email is cparvin@laterallink.com. Please feel free to use that email to reach out to me. One thing I really like about working with Lateral Link is I will be able to help lawyers and law firms throughout the United States and Canada.

If you know me, you likely can easily figure out why I decided to pursue this opportunity to help connect lawyers and law firms.

  • In many ways, I have the opportunity to continue my coaching when working with a candidate. In many cases, the candidate will need a business plan to convince a firm that he or she will be a great addition to the firm.
  • A recruiter connects lawyers with law firms. I loved connecting the lawyers I coached with one another. Some of those lawyers from different parts of the US and Canada have become great friends.

I’m sure you know, especially if I coached you that I am happy to help you with career or client development advice, so feel comfortable contacting me. I receive calls from lawyers I coached almost every week and it is a great feeling to reconnect with them.

Since I’m a beginner again, I thought about The Beatles. I was in high-school when The Beatles arrived in America from Liverpool and were an instant sensation.

Few know how much work the Beatles did before they took the trip across the Atlantic.

Your efforts to become a rainmaker require that same kind of work.

Some time ago, Seth Godin wrote a Blog titled: “When did the Beatles Become THE Beatles?

Malcolm Gladwell discussed how the Beatles became successful in his book “Outliers” and talked about the Beatles in a short video that will help you grasp the point.

Seth Godin and Malcolm Gladwell describe that at the beginning, the Beatles were playing two or three long sets a day in a Hamburg club, making a few pounds if they were lucky. The Beatles worked on their music in these clubs for years.

What are you working on now to make yourself more valuable lawyer to your clients?

Godin says that as the Beatles got more traction they were marketing in every direction.

After you have done your homework, then you will work at becoming visible by writing for industry publications and speaking to as many industry groups as possible. Before you get there, consider writing for and speaking to Bar groups. Even though you are not likely to be hired by competing lawyers, this stage will provide opportunities to become a more effective writer and presenter.

Seth Godin says the transition stage was brief but essential. When people started noticing them, the Beatles didn’t stop marketing. Instead, they poured it on. At this point, they shifted from being the chasers into being the chased.

During the transition stage, organizations notice you and ask you to write for their publications or speak at their meetings. That is the time for you to “pour it on” to gain momentum.

After all the years playing in clubs and developing their skills, the Beatles came to America. Seth Godin says that many reach this stage and stop.

When you feel you have “arrived,” have some healthy paranoia. That means continuing to learn, continuing to figure out what impacts your clients and writing and speaking on those subjects. It also means continuing to focus on building relationships with each of your clients and becoming their trusted advisor.

At this stage, the Beatles became THE Beatles and you will become THE Rainmaker, and hopefully, I will become THE Recruiter.

The post Making Rain: Prepare Like the Beatles appeared first on Cordell Parvin Blog.

Curated by Texas Bar Today. Follow us on Twitter @texasbartoday.



from Texas Bar Today https://ift.tt/2pLFHtX
via Abogado Aly Website

No comments:

Post a Comment