Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Lawyers: To Attract Clients Should You Be Interesting or Interested?

Originally published by Cordell Parvin.

As you know, I spent a month living at Habla Hispana in San Miguel de Allende. Here is a link where you can get a feel for the residence there. The first floor was a spacious kitchen and living area. My room was on the second floor along with another room occupied by two of my fellow classmates. On the third floor another suite was occupied by a student in a more advanced class.

That living arrangement was like living in a dorm having your own room or like when I spent seven weeks living in visiting officer quarters when I was in the Air Force. Over the month living at the school I developed lasting relationships with my classmates.

It made me think back about building lasting, authentic relationships. Here are questions and thoughts.

Answer these questions:

  • At a networking event should you be interesting or interested?
  • On Facebook should you be interesting or interested?
  • When you meet with a potential client should you be interesting or interested?

A few years ago, Seth Godin posted a bblog titled Interesting & Interested, suggesting  it is important to be both and asked why it is so difficult. He didn’t say it this way, but my take is most people try so hard to be interesting, that they are neither interesting nor interested.

woman_man_dinner_rs.jpgSeth’s blog reminded me of the story of a young English lady eating dinner in successive nights with Gladstone and Disraeli. I believe I first read the story in one of Stephen Covey’s books. According to the story, the young lady reported:

When I left the dining room after sitting next to Mr. Gladstone, I thought he was the cleverest man in England,” she said. “But after sitting next to Mr. Disraeli, I thought I was the cleverest woman in England.

Do you want to do more reading on building authentic relationships? I recently found a Fast Company blog that was posted two years ago. The Art of Building and Maintaining Authentic Relationships. I think you will find four tips of the advice in the blog valuable.

 

The post Lawyers: To Attract Clients Should You Be Interesting or Interested? appeared first on Cordell Parvin Blog.

Curated by Texas Bar Today. Follow us on Twitter @texasbartoday.



from Texas Bar Today http://ift.tt/2hjeyMZ
via Abogado Aly Website

No comments:

Post a Comment